Work Visa for Qualified Professionals

You have found a job in Germany and need a visa? These are the requirements you have to meet. If you have completed higher education institution or qualified vocational training outside Germany, you can receive a residence permit, in accordance with Sections 18a and 18b (1) AufenthG (German Residence Act) that enables you to obtain employment in Germany as a qualified professional.


EU Blue Card for Germany

The EU Blue Card for Germany (Section 18b (2) AufenthG [German Residence Act]) is a special residence permit for foreign academics seeking qualified employment in Germany.

  • You already have a concrete job offer from a company in Germany.
  • The position must be appropriate for someone with your qualifications (higher education degree).
  • The position in Germany must be remunerated with a gross annual income of at least €56,400 (as of 2022). A gross annual salary of at least €43,992 (as of 2022) is required for employees in the fields of mathematics, IT, natural sciences, engineering, and human medicine. In such cases, the German Federal Employment Agency must approve your request for employment.


Visa for IT professionals

If you would like to work as an IT specialist in Germany, you have various options for obtaining a visa. The chart explains the different types of residence permits and the respective requirements.

IT specialist in Germany (


Visa for self-employment

Would you like to start a business in Germany? You can find the necessary information for your visa application here: Visa for self-employment (


The fast-track procedure for skilled workers  "Beschleunigtes Fachkräfteverfahren"

If you have already found an employer, you can authorize the company to apply for the accelerated skilled worker procedure to speed up the work visa process.

Das beschleunigte Fachkräfteverfahren (


German Job Seeker Visa (“Visum für die Arbeitssuche“):

A German job seeker visa is a work visa issued to anyone who wants to find work in Germany. If you are granted this visa, you are allowed to stay in the country for several months— usually six— and find employment and afterwards apply for a work permit and remain in Germany long-term.

You have to prove that you can cover your costs of living, since you are not able to enter into remunerated employment during this time. Proof of being able to cover living costs can be provided in the form of a blocked account or a Declaration of Commitment.

You will need to apply for a "National Visa" applying the following procedure laid down here:

Merkblatt Nationales Visum: Visum zur Suche eines Arbeitsplatzes oder eines Berufsausbildungsplatzes  Microsoft Word - Arbeitsplatz-Ausbildungsplatzsuche_SEP 2022.docx (

Germany Job Seeker Visa - Requirements & Application (

Visa for jobseekers (


Visa Procedure at a Glance graphic:  220125_Visagrafik_EinBlick_Work_visa_for_skilled_EN.pdf (


The way into the German labor market chart: 220113_Visagrafik_Gesamt_Arbeitsmarkt_EN.pdf


FAQ German Embassy Amman: Einreise von Fachkräften - Auswärtiges Amt (

Answers to your questions about the immigration of skilled workers and taking up work in Germany provided by the German Embassy Amman

How to get a permit to work in Germany #HalloGermany - YouTube


Hotline Working and Living in Germany (ALiD)

The hotline of the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) offers personalized information and advice, in German or English, on the following topics:

Job search, work and careers

Recognition of foreign vocational qualifications

Entry and residence

Learning German

BAMF - Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge - Hotline Working and Living in Germany